Tuesday, May 6, 2008

May Day in Tirana, Albania

May 1st here is Albanian Worker's Day and most government and schools are closed for a holiday. We planned a picnic to the park with our Roma friends and their children. The weather was sunny, clear and hot for that day. Two women and 6 children came for the picnic as well as Don and I, Dave and Julee. We brought our lunches and shared chocolate chip cookies and snacks with everyone. The cookie plate was emptied! It was good to be able to sit and listen to the women talk and try to understand the conversation but I have to admit...I was lost during some of it. I have much to learn! We are thankful for this time that they got to get out of their neighborhood and enjoy the day in the park. It's amazing how much you appreciate trees and green grass when you have to search them out in the city.I will post photos later as I get them.

No comments: