Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Hazardous Life of a Pedestrian Living in Tirana, Albania!

Ok...I have been here 2 years and this is my first pedestrian accident...nope didn't fall into an open man-hole ...yet. I was finishing my visiting and shopping, pulling my groceries in my old lady cart...thinking I have had a really good day! Had coffee with a friend a few minutes before...yep,life is good. Then at an intersection, I was carefully navigating the road to cross with other pedestrians....half way...safe...next step...not safe! Walopppp! I motorcycle policeman hit me!
He was driving up the MIDDLE of the road, not following basic, normal rules of driving and wham! It took me a minute to register that I had just been hit by a motorcycle, the pain of my leg and foot started immediately. I crossed the rest of the way to the otherside of the road. "Mr. Policeman" did come and make sure I was ok, did I want to go to the hospital, etc. ("I want to live! No, I don't want to go to the hospital!" I thought.) So I assured him, I would be fine, turned and limped the rest of the way home, as I dragged my grocery cart behind me. What a sad, crying pitiful sight that must have been...the pain, frustration and insult to injury of having to walk all the way home after being hit! UGH! I am fine, except for a sore, black and purple leg...and a bit of a limp. It could have been much worse...I am really over working my guardian angel lately!
LESSON: Even if you are cautious and are sure that the way is clear....just look again...you just never know who may be trying out for the NASCAR generation here in Albania!

No comments: