- Most Albanians take a vacation to the beach in late July or August.
- Albanians who live out of the country---come back into the country to vacation with their families.
- The government offices close down for the month of August.
- Most women go out to do the shopping and get their houses clean before noon! (not me...I am too slow!)
- By noon or 1pm, the streets are very quiet and vacant. Shops close up and everyone goes home for a lunch and a nap ( in attempt to avoid the heat of the day). Most places do not have A/C.
- By 6 or 7, the city come to life! Most people go out for walks, shopping, getting drinks or ice cream with friends. It really is a night owl culture!
- My neighbors are very quick to tell me that it's too hot to be out past noon in the summer! They are showing their concern for me....the foreigner :).
- Fresh watermelon and cantelope are a highlight for us! Cheap and tasty!
(PS. Thanks Jen B. for your ideas for this post!)