Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fear, Haircut and about 3 Dollars!

I have been in Albania for almost 4 years and it took this long to get a haircut in an Albanian salon.
There are many reasons for my 4 year delay. I've heard many, many horror stories of beauty shop woes!
You go in, request and explain what you want done and leave with what they wanted to do for you. In the process of that haircut you would be gawked at, ridiculed for how you keep your eye brows, hair color, clothing and or shoe choice and that you are too fat or too thin. It is cultural here to tell it as they see it and then you deal with it. I have chosen to NOT experience that  here and wait until furlough or if a teammate could cut my hair.
It's been 1 year since my last haircut....and I was getting desperate! I was referred to a new place with a very positive environment and a Christian stylist. I walked in the door (thought about turning around to leave) and asked for Kristina. From that point on, it was an amazingly positive experience!
I got a wash, cut and ....my hair straightened  for about 3 bucks! It was on sale from the original price of $5. I walked out a happy woman and with straight hair for the first time ever.
Now I won't have to wait 2 years for a haircut. :0) I am thankful for the small blessings in life.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Where is the picture of your straight hair??? Better than my experience of paying about $80 to get my hair colored because I was "American"!