Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Mother's Heartache & Trusting God

"As a mother, my job is to 
take care of the possible 
and trust God with the impossible."
Ruth Bell Graham 


A mother's heartache. Every mom experiences it. Every mother feels it at some point in her life. When you can't "fix" whatever it is your child is going through. That very real pain of not being able to make it all better. 

Someone once told me that "a mother is only as happy as her un-happiest child." I think it's true to some extent. We never stop being concerned for our children, no matter how old our babies get to be. I'm not saying we just stay in the pit of despair; it's that when our children suffer, it affects us deeply. 


Recently, it seems that many families around us are dealing with heart-wrenching situations with their children. Little ones with cancer or who have died because of cancer, pre-teens with serious learning disabilities, teens in severe emotional and spiritual crisis, young adults struggling to grasp God's love for them despite the things they've experimented with... these are just some of the situations we can hear about each week. The despair, heartache and hopelessness in so many families can shake us to the core.
Our family's first prayer card in 2003. Look at our sweet boys way back then!

So that's where my TRUST word comes into action. Trusting God with each situation is the only way to survive life's difficulties and suffering. We know that God is for us and not against us. We know that He will use it for our/their ultimate good. Will I always understand why things happen like they do? No. But God does and I can trust Him.

I know that I can't fix every problem for our young adult children. I want to. I would love to make their lives less "bumpy". But I have come to the conclusion that I am to love them, pray for them, cheer them on in good and bad days, listen to them and ultimately point them back to Jesus. I can encourage them to TRUST God with every aspect of their lives. 

Trust. It's not easy. As I type this, I am continually having to ask God to help me trust Him in many areas. I think that's why TRUST is my oneword365 this year. God knew I needed to work on it.

What's an area that you struggle to trust God in? 

No comments: