Monday, March 30, 2015

What are you afraid of?


Alright. I admit it. I have had a pressure cooker phobia.

I am not alone in this. Just google "fear of pressure cooking" and see all the articles that pop up! I had visions of scraping rice or beans off the ceiling. I could just see me starting a fire somehow as it exploded. (This is never a good thing and especially if your husband is a former firefighter.) 


After years of using my pressure cooker for a regular old pot for cooking, I finally decided to conquer my fear. I searched the internet for basic instructions, made sure my hubby was home in case of a pressure cooker emergency, and threw caution to the wind! 


I watched and waited, reread the basic instructions, waited and watched. Finally, the little do-hickey on the top started to rattle...the web site said that was the goal...I trusted it. I set the timer and hoped that dinner would be edible. Practicing my apologies for a ruined dinner, just in case we needed to order pizza as a back up plan. I have to admit that releasing the steam was a bit scary!


I am here to say that, I am no longer afraid of that silver pressure pot. I think dinner turned out just fine and we didn't order pizza. Now, am I brave enough to use that pressure cooker when Don isn't home to help in a rice on the ceiling disaster? We shall see. 


Happy cooking and use that pressure cooker!

3 comments:

Lorinda said...

I laughed when I saw the photo and read the title. When I was growing up, my mom used her pressure cooker all the time,but I have always felt nervous around them and have never used one. Maybe I should conquer my fear, too.

I missed you today!

Krystal Zollinger said...

Thanks, Lorinda! :) it is now time for YOU to get out that pressure cooker!

dandjschoch said...

I love my pressure cooker, I use it all the time and it's a hand me down from the 1950s