Friday, July 31, 2015

Dependence & The Fourth of July- 2015


American holidays overseas are a bit different. Some go past ya in a whirl and you don't think of them much. Others are just the reason that we need to get together with other expats and celebrate! Like our photos above show...we had a great time:)

It feels like we are walking around carrying a special secret. Guess what today is?!


Albanians are great at celebrating holidays! Under communism, they were only allowed to celebrate on New Year's Eve. That's it. One day. Now there are many holidays on the Albanian calendar that are observed. We get two Easters! (Just click to look at the list Wikipedia) Albanians have days in a row that they celebrate their independence and a liberation day.


In-de-pen-dence. We all celebrate it. For good reasons. 


We shake our fist at the thought of being under anyone's harsh authority. People have suffered under evil dictators. Families have lost loved ones in the battles for freedom. Our freedom. Thank you for serving and sacrificing. We can celebrate now because others have fought for our independence. 





Now here's my "heart" point. I love my country. I love my freedom; but I am not called to be independent from God. 

We are called to be dependent on God our Creator. We are called to be dependent on His power and strength in our lives. We are not to think so highly of ourselves that we shake our fists at Him and say, "I don't need you. I've got this!" 

My dependence should be on God. The older I get, the more I realize how little I can do in my own strength. 

While I was celebrating America's Independence, I was also remembering how thankful I am for my dependence on God. Just my thoughts on a holiday happening this month.


"The Lord is my strength and my shield;

    my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.

My heart leaps for joy,

    and with my song I praise him."

Psalm 28:7





No comments: